Friday, September 19, 2014

Miniature Millinery

Scale is a marvelous teacher.  And roses don't grow overnight.

Back when I left off with Mrs. Rose, I had figured out a method for making miniature roses.


Before those roses can become rose boughs, I need to figure out how to craft the leaves.

My vision was to have three different types of leaves:  a stumpwork version (yet to be made), a beaded version (yet to be made) and a miniature velvet-ish/fabric-y version รก la a millinery leaf spray like the ones below.


As you can see those haven't yet been made either but at least I'm further along than I was yesterday.



The smallest pre-manufactured millinery leaf I own is about 7/8".  My leaves need to be about 3/8" to 1/2" or 11mm-15mm.  I'm playing with all types of variables: wiring the leaves using super micro wire, managing the fraying of the fabric that I'm using, sewing on such tiny pieces, and holding the dag-blasted $@#!%! things in my fat fingers.

There was a lot of struggle today but I have at least discovered two ways I won't be making the leaves.

That being said, I can begin to see that I will figure it out and it's going to be lovely.  It's just not going to be quick.


Back to the drawl-ing board.

Happy weekend everyone!

9 comments:

Dolores said...

I immediately thought of silk ribbon leaves but those are not free and loose, they have to be tacked down.

margaret said...

such intricate work here Susan you have such patience not to mention amazing talent, good to see Mrs Rose is appearing again

Rachel said...

It always feels clumsy during the experimentation phase - but just think how pleased you will be when you've nailed it!

Suztats said...

Oooh, looking forward to seeing more. My first thought was singed organza leaves. I wonder what you'll surprise us with?

gracie said...

I am always amazed when I visit but not surprised at you creations.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great sampling! Will be interested to see what you end up doing.

Beth Ferrier said...

Susan,
Have you considered fusing two layers of fabric together, trapping the stem inside? I would think the fusible would also help with frayed edges.

Createology said...

Your attention to detail is always what makes you a master at your crafts. Creative Tiny Leaves Bliss...

Judy S. said...

That Mrs. Rose is sure lucky to have you as her personal dressmaker!

Related Posts with Thumbnails