Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The "Most" Chocolate Cake

Most of you know I'm not a cook.

But over the years, thanks to a sister who is a brilliant cook and lots of friends who share their best and easiest recipes (No three-hour recipes need apply.), I have learned to get by fairly well.

Check out this cake...


I made this.

Now, it looks pretty great, right? And you might be tempted to think that I actually spend time in the kitchen and am a brilliant baker as well as a stitcher, right?

Wrong.

I'm just a lucky imposter who happens to have found the right recipe, the right cake plate, and the right neighbor. She not only gave me the recipe but she also lets me use her rose-shaped pan.

So every year I borrow her bundt pan, make this super-easy and awesomely-delicious cake, put it on that pretty plate, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and add fresh holly from the yard.

And Voila!

Not only am I out of the holiday pinch of what to take to a party...I'm also not embarrassed to have my cake sit amongst the beautiful displays of hand-decorated cookies and deliciously-crafted edibles of the real bakers in the world.

Yesterday, we had our EGA December meeting which also doubles as a holiday party...And every year I take this super-simple, awesome cake. And everyone wants the recipe...

Which just puts one more monkey on my back at this busy time of year...I have to remember to whom I made promises, find their email addresses, etc etc...Geez. What do they think, it's Christmas or something?

Well, this year I was one-step ahead of all those monkey-hangers, and I say that in the most loving way.

I made up the recipe cards ahead of time...adding a little clip art to make them spiffier...


Voila again! No monkeys on my back.

Maybe there's someone else out there like me who is culinarily-challenged??

So for you...

An early Christmas present, here's the recipe and the card...

You're going to have to find your own neighbor with the pan!

Bon Appetit!

P.S. Any bundt pan will do...But make sure you use non-stick baking spray LIBERALLY....and let the cake really cool....also, baking times will vary based on your altitudes and ovens...Trust me, it is a really awesome, super-chocolately easy cake. Did I say that already??

P.P.S. This cake recipe is not my creation and no one can figure out where it originally came from so I can't give credit. If it was YOU, or you know who it was, let me know so I can bow down to the brilliant soul and give credit where credit is most definitely due.

16 comments:

Mary Ann Tate said...

Oh thank you. I'm always looking for recipes for my bundt pan.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, sounds gorgeous!

Shirlee Fassell said...

I too am cooking/baking challenged. I have a party Friday and Saturday... looks like my bundt pan might just get used!!! Thanks

Gerry Krueger said...

This goes wayyyyyyyyyyyyy back to when the rage of adding pudding to a mix started...70s? For years this has been my #2 emergency WOW recipe and I got it off a cake mix box... It was called "Double Fudge Cake" (I do add nuts but I add nuts to everything) If I have time I drizzle it with truffle sauce...

My #1 WOW is just as easy and for it I always keep a can of crushed pineapple in the pantry "Pina Colada" cake.. Even a good cook needs recipes like these in her arsenal.... Hugs Gerry

Anonymous said...

It looks gorgeous with the Christmas Berries on top. I don't think we can get those packet items in the UK though I must admit I don't really look at the packet cake mixes but just looking at your cake makes me feel a baking session coming on!

Judy S. said...

Great idea with the holly, Susan. Sounds like a yummy recipe too.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

oooh, Very decadently chocolatey!

Cyn said...

Oh my... YUMMO! Thank you for including the recipe. How nice! Merry Christmas to me from you. lol.
I have a doin's at Guild this Thursday and have been worrying over what to bring -- no more!
Thanks again.
Hugs,
/;-)

Linda H said...

Yes this is a yummy cake. I have made that recipe, but never in a "rose" pan for such an elegant look!

coral-seas said...

The cake looks yummy!

Question: What is a bundt pan?

Burning Question: How was date night?

Elizabeth said...

I was just going to claim that I was a monkey hanger but now as i get to the bottom- you have taken care of that you brilliant goddess of ultra creative-ness!! Going to steal this recipe for sure. Everyone needs a go-to cake recipe and chocolate to boot!!!

Big Hug hugs to you! Dear Girl!!

Mindi said...

Your cake looks absolutely yummy, but as you probably know, presentation is just as important as how it tastes, and you got that spot on. Thanks for providing the recipe, I'll have to try it.

a2susan said...

The cake looks absolutely decadent! Bet it tastes heavenly with all those ingredients.

Sandra Henderson said...

Thanks for sharing. I bought a GOOD, HEAVY, NEW bundt pan when they were having their anniversary, (whoever made the first ones, too tired to look it up) a couple years ago. It was about 40 bucks!~ Best money on anything I've ever spent for the kitchen! Well, I don't know... but, GREAT INVESTMENT! They last forever and mine was so old and THIN. I had no idea until I got a new one. Mine was so old.. HOw old was it? The exterior was avacado green! seriously.

Teresa said...

Your cake looks so beautiful. I have that recipe and love it. I just might need to get a rose pan.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

mary ruth in NC said...

I have made this cake forever. I got the recipe in high school home ec class in the early 80s.

A tip from there is to grease and flour the pan. There is now a spray stuff called Baker's Joy that makes this much easier.

Related Posts with Thumbnails