Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Photo Finishes

Increasingly I find myself taking great pleasure in having a "photo shoot" for my needlework once I've completed a project.


I started out taking pictures so I could share them on this blog.

But over time, I've found that the photo shoot has moved beyond this functional need to a more meaningful, personal purpose.

Today, for me, the photo shoot has become a ritual...


A way of honoring the completion of a project...And closing one chapter before I begin another.

My portfolio of photo finishes is a treasure trove, right up there with my family albums and pictures, and summons up all kinds of good feelings when I go back and look at them.

I love having the visual record once the piece has long faded from my memory.

Let's be honest...Never again am I likely to make 34 Black-Eyed Susans and take a picture of them putting their best-faces forward.


This pic looks like a display at a farmers' market...and I would never had made that discovery had I not taken the time to take their picture.

Tomorrow they'll get scattered to all the ends of the earth as they go to live in their new homes.


But, thanks to the photo shoot, I get to keep a piece of them back here with me...it makes the clean up aftermath less tiresome.

Just like having pictures of my loved ones brings great comfort when they are no longer here...which reminds me to take more pictures of Jack every day...for college is coming in only 3 more years...*sigh

On that note, I leave tomorrow for the Adventure in CT. I'll try to post again before I hit the road.

Now, go take some pictures!

18 comments:

Lisa Boni said...

The "Farmer's Market" display is fabulous! So delightful! Your photos are always a treasure and I loved reading your thoughts about them! Have a fabulous time at the CQ Adventure!

coral-seas said...

Your photographs have always given me great pleasure - the pictures themselves as well as the subject matter. I love the way you stage them. I really like the "Farmers' Market" shot as well. It would be nice to display them this way for the trade but I see that you have also done lovely packaging for them. You always take care of th details, that is what makes everything you touch extra special.

Rachel said...

You are a very fine photographer, too - these are really fabulous shots!

Gina said...

Very nice! And I see your header got to take part too!

Mouse said...

love the flowers .. well done on getting them finished .. enjoy your travels :) love mouse xxxx

Catherine said...

Wonderful photos!! It is sort of sad to think of them scattering to different places, but not so much when you know they will be well tended to! Have a safe journey - I can only begin to imagine the photo memories you'll share with us!

Anonymous said...

Lovely! Your work always is, and so is your photography. There are many items I have sewn, embroidered, knitted and crocheted and given away that I have no memory of. I am following your advice and will photograph my every needlework (and gardening) endeavor, just for the record.
Andrea

Createology said...

Your efforts have certainly paid off with the beauty of your happy flowers in their paper cones. Love how you described your photos as making memories. Safe Travels and enjoy every moment...

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hi Susan!!
Your love of photography comes through in every picture.

I used to make very elaborate cakes. I took many cake and candy decorating classes until the store I loved closed. Your post reminded me that I took pictures during the creative process of each cake I made. I have an album somewhere, but that was long before digital cameras. Terry always said that he could tell if I really liked someone when I created a special cake just for them.

Have a safe trip.
xx, Carol

Queen Bee's Musings said...

So beautiful. Wish I was receiving of those black eyed susans. Oh yes I am! I am so enjoying this pictures and stories of their creation!

Stitching Noni said...

Stunning display of black eyed susans! You are very talented... the idea of the photo shoot is great!

The people who get these beautiful treasures will be very lucky indeed!

http://firefliescatsinthegarden.blogspot.com/

Judy S. said...

Wow! If you have any extras, you'll have a leg up for May Day. Hope you have a great time at your gathering! Love your new header, too.

Elizabeth said...

What glorious shots of your fabulous little flowers!!! The blog banner is all smiles as well!! I wish that I was with you and I am really really looking forward to The Sheep show!! Can't wait to hear all about the Adventure!!! Your farmers market shot is just wonderful!!!!!

Vicki Boster said...

Susan- you have truly outdone yourself with these black eyed Susan creations. You are right- that photo looks like it came straight from the farmers market. They are gorgeous- I can't even imagine the time you spent on these! Love them!
Vicki

Jocelyne said...

Hi Suzane I've look at your block so many time without knowing you and now as I've meet you in person I take more pleasure to look a it. Amities
Jocelyne http://jocelynecrazyneedles.blogspot.com

NickiLee said...

Hi Susan,

What a treasure I now possess. One of your beautiful little black eyed susans now hangs on my bedroom mirror to remind me of the wonderful time I just had in CT and all the great new friends I met. It was wonderful to meet the crazy lady behind all the beautiful photography and incredible talent on this blog... looking forward to see all that you have in store for us in future blogs.

Thank you again for all your efforts in making this Crazy Quilt Adventure a fabulous time for all.

Big hugs!

Ingrid Mida said...

Susan,
You've really come a long way with your photography. Sadly I find that I don't take as many photos as I should because my camera is so heavy that I don't have it with me when I want it. I'm looking for something small but with the capacity for some manual overrides. I don't know if something like that even exists but I sure hope so. Your photos have inspired me to do something...
Hope your trip went well and I look forward to seeing the pics.

Teena in Toronto said...

Gorgeous!

Happy blogoversary :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails