Monday, September 15, 2014

Leaving Home and Coming Back

At last. 

I have come home again to my blog.  Time to clear out the cobwebs, dust off the keyboard and re-engage with my online life.

As with any break from routine, there is lots to catch up on so I won't waste any more time.

The biggest event for this Mom of One was sending my only off to college.

On Labor Day weekend, Jim and I drove the 6.5 hours to Boston to drop Jack off at Northeastern University where he has begun studies in their College of Computers and Information Sciences...



The drop off itself took minutes really.


The school provides these big moving carts designed to hold all your life's necessities...


It was a busy weekend in Boston with many apartment turnovers occurring on September 1 but there was little traffic getting to the University and getting parked.  Honestly, it took about 20 minutes total.


His dorm room is long and narrow.  It's a good thing that their beds are lofted because they wouldn't fit otherwise.  

He is lucky to be on a corner so he has three windows and a nice view of the street below...


There are two metro stops on his campus which makes getting around Boston a piece of cake.  And the Museum of Fine Arts is directly across from his college and two blocks away from his dorm.

We've already taken advantage of that blessing quite a bit.


After running to Target for a few extras, Jim snapped a quick pic to mark the moment...


And then he was gone...


Jim and I left Boston to travel the two hours to spend the rest of the weekend in Brattleboro, Vermont.  A wonderful trip full of fabric and good food!


Along the way,  we found ourselves on Route 111 for a stretch and I took that as a good sign.  One-Eleven has been a very special number for me and my family since my Mom passed away in 2008.


As for Jim and I...



It's back to long walks, dinner for two, movie nights and anything else that strikes our fancy.  We recognize this place and we like it.  A little older, a little out of practice, but beautiful just the same.

We haven't heard much from Jack.  He wasn't a big talker while he was living here and now that he's not...well...

It's quiet.  

I'm thinking we might find out how his first year of college was in about 10 years.  

Hey, anything we hear before then is a bonus!

As for me, I have lots to get caught up on...

I'm finishing up my Japanese Embroidery piece, Eternal Grace...


And Mrs. Rose wants to tell you her story in the next few weeks...she's been far too patient!


Scotland makes its vote for Independence on Thursday which makes me want to finish processing my pictures and book from last year...


And I have many photos and stories to share from our Summer while I was taking a break from technology.  

Looking forward to catching up with all of you and our needle community.  It's good to be back.

33 comments:

Cari said...

Welcome back !! I've missed you but I knew you were getting Jack ready for the best adventure of his life. Congratulations on raising a wonderful young man. I'm looking forward to getting 'back in the groove' with you and your amazing work. Hugs

Roberta Warshaw said...

Welcome to the neighborhood to your son! I live quite near there! It is a great location and you can't beat the T for getting around!

Anonymous said...

It's good to have you back! I've been thinking about Mrs. Rose lately, too. I'm glad she's so patient. 8-)

Glad Jack got settled. That new hat and the beard do make him look much more mature.....

Glad you two know how to utilize the "just us two" time.

xo Linda

coral-seas said...

Welcome back! I have so missed you and am really looking forward to catching up on all of your news and sharing a few coffee mornings with you again.

cucki said...

Welcome back dear..
Sending you big hugs x

Marnie said...

Good to hear your "voice" again. Jack looks so grown up...So happy for this next adventure for him. And, I am excited to see what you get into next.. Hugs!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGosh! Welcome back. First, let me say that you look FABULOUS! I love your haircut. AND you are very slim. The summer has been good for you.

My Corey spoke of leaving the nest last night. I think he was testing the waters, but it sure made me feel lonesome just thinking of it. Every day is a diamond.

xx, Carol

Rachel said...

Has Jack got suddenly taller in the last six months?
Welcome back..!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Hurray!!!! It's so good to see you posting again. You have been missed. I've wondered about Mrs. Rose and am looking forward to seeing more of her and all of your other inspiring needlework too.

Jack looks so different with a beard. My goodness from a boy to a young man overnight.

It looks like you and Jim are enjoying yourselves and I wish you much love and joy during this time in your life.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Cath said...

It's good to have you back Susan. Looking forward to hearing about you catching up with all your projects :-)

deb* said...

welcome! glad to have you back!

Vicky aka Stichr said...

Huskies!!! U-Dub [Washington State U] has Huskies too! Not that our Stephanie went to any games when she attended, but she did enjoy the smells wafting up from the parking lot-tail gate-BBQ's.

Have missed you mush...er...much...Go Dawgs!

Shirlee Fassell said...

You look great ... Jack is sooooo tall ... looks like you know what to do in an empty nest! Great to see you back looking forward to your great stitching.

Mary Ann Tate said...

Glad to see you back:)

Unknown said...

So pleased to see you are back. Your posts are always so inspiring. Rae.

sharonb said...

Great to see you back - you say "It's back to long walks, dinner for two, movie nights and anything else that strikes our fancy."
simply its time to fall in love again ... these are great years, honestly

Diane Lithgow said...

Welcome back. I have missed seeing your family and wonderful stitching. I wish i had kids.

Laurie said...

And it's good to have you back! I have missed your posts, and Mrs. Rose is always a joy to see in progress!! Welcome home, and enjoy your quiet time.

Catherine said...

Welcome back! It has been so fun watching Jack grow up through your blog ~ and I think of you and him often as my oldest reminds me of him in many ways....he is a freshman in high school and I know that all too soon I too will be making that drop off drive. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts and finding out more about Ms. Rose and her story!

Miriam said...

Welcome back Susan!!
All the best to Jack for his college years. A huge step in all your lives!

Looking forward to hearing something more about your visit to Delectable Mountain Cloth.
Can't wait to see lots of your stitching.

margaret said...

good to see you back on your blog have missed you and of course Mrs Rose, wondered what was happening to her. So big boy is now at college I expect it does not seem so long ago he was running around in short trousers how time flies.

Teresa said...

Welcome back Susan. I, too have missed you and your stunningly beautiful work. Good luck to Jack as he embarks on this wonderful stage of his journey through life and the same to you & Jim as you adjust to being "just us two" again......

Ann said...

Welcome back! I've missed the inspiration from your creativity.

Our son only showed up at home when the dorm closed, and we had very little communication while he was in college . . . BUT, now that he's a parent, we have weekly, sometimes daily phone calls! Amazing what a difference that makes . . .

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Susan, you have been missed.

Suztats said...

I have missed your posts, so I'm happy you're back blogging.
It will seem quiet for a little while, and you may find yourself listening because it's a little too quiet, but eventually it won't feel so strange. Here's hoping you and DH have lots of fun together in your larger nest. Enjoy this new beginning, and Best of Luck to Jack.

Unknown said...

That was me a couple of years ago! My mom took a very similar photo of me walking into my halls of residence.
Going off to college/uni is such a great experience - I'm sure Jack will have an amazing time :)

Sheila Iskin said...

It's great to see you back! I missed your stories and stitching. It's a wrenching milestone watching someone transition into a new life stage, and sometimes *we* go into it with a struggle - so kudos to you for... showing us how to do it gracefully. ;)

Btw, you look great! (A little short next to your tall son, but great, anyway! Cute haircut - it suits you very nicely.)Why is it that we mark our biggest life changes with a haircut, anyway?

I'd bet you and Jim are going to have a great time. You and another friend of mine, are some of the least- afraid-of-quiet people I know, which is kind of a special gift. Fun times ahead. :)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Welcome back! Sending best wishes to your son for a wonderful college experience, and to you, my sympathy. I remember as if it were yesterday how many tears I shed when we left our oldest son at college.

Gerry Krueger said...

You have done a great job with Jack as he obviously shares your sense of humor.. Give extra hugs to Jim... Each stage of life has its perks... Welcome back!!

Createology said...

I am so happy to find you back to blogging and stitching. Jack is a very lucky young man. You and Jim will share a wonderful time "dating" again. Thank you for sharing your journey Susan. Creative Bliss Dear...

Padparadscha said...

Good to hear from you, I missed you. With 111 best wishes for Jack and your new life !

Marsha said...

It's hard sending that first one off to college. When it's your one and only I'm sure it's even harder. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a non-talker. A few friends think we're weird 'cause we don't talk much to our children but we do love them madly and I know they love us. We just aren't talkers! I'm so excited to see your posts. I look forward to them!

Judy S. said...

So glad you enjoyed your summer, but it is sure good to have you back blogging! We've been gone for a couple of weeks, and I'm just catching up. It's a big step, that going off to college! Wishing Jack the best with the Huskies of the East from the Huskies of the West. Hugs to you, too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails