Thursday, July 10, 2014

Wrapping up the Fourth of July

If any of you are still out there following this blog, you'll know that my family goes to the beach every year to celebrate Fourth of July.  For us, it's almost bigger than Christmas.

This year was a bit different in that six of us weren't there...and a tropical storm came through which re-configured the normal parade of Fourth fanfare and fireworks.


If you've been following this blog for a while you'll also know that we usually make some form of patriotic, over-the-top red, white and blue creation to wear.  Thanks to the tropical storm we had a day's worth of rain and bad weather gifting us plenty of time to sit and create...


[Assisted by that wonderful-husband-of-mine Jim who fed us throughout the day...see him all flagged-up in the kitchen?]

This year we made wrap bracelets...


Having gone through my bead and button stash to gather a supply of patriotic-ish baubles...


Most of the bracelets had a flair for the Fourth...


But not all.   In the true spirit of the Fourth and freedom of expression...


Not everyone wanted a patriotic bracelet.  Rather, there were a couple created that could be worn all year round...


And see that beautiful henna tattoo?  

My niece Allison has quite a talent for drawing and has set up shop as our resident henna tattoo artist...


Everyone was lining up to get a chance to wear her artistry...


Even Jack.


Luckily for Allie, her sister Grace also has talent and drew this lovely intra-scapular art doodle...



While the gals were busy beading and tattooing, the men were not to be outdone.

My BIL Jim is a master griller and made pit beef sandwiches hand-delivered to the beach as well as yummy fall-off-the-bone ribs for dinner...


With gourmet accompaniments fresh from the farmers' market provided by my sister Sheila, we are spoiled rotten at the beach and eat like royalty.

Noticing that BIL Jim was struggling to put his heavy ceramic "Green Egg" grill away over uneven ground, my brother Mark got busy pouring concrete and made him a surface slab for easy storage and removal...


All in all, we had another gathering where the the group was greater due to the sum of its parts...


If you're interested in making wrap bracelets too, I highly recommend the projects, videos and supplies provided at Beadshop.com , click on subheading Cool Projects.

I used their "Wicked Mood" bracelet as a prototype for my patriotic version...


And instead of using the beading boxes they use in the videos, we used empty cardboard bolt boards that JoAnn fabric stores gave to me for free.


Summer is always a busy time as I spend more time out of doors and traveling.  Though I'm still creating, I am not posting as much as I might like.  My posts are sporadic at best and I expect a much more regular blogging schedule when Jack goes to college in September.

Until then, I will still be here, posting when I can.  Here's wishing you beauty and joy where ever you are, whatever the season.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can see our past patriotic projects here:

2010:  T-Shirts
2009:  T-Shorts
2008:  Baseball Hats

I just realized I'm on my eighth blogging year.  Wow.  When I go back and look through past posts, it makes me love this blog all the more.  Thanks for joining my journey. 

19 comments:

cucki said...

such a beautiful post....
sending you big hugs xxx

Lilli said...

Absolutely great! I'm totally thrilled. Love from Germany. Lilli

gracie said...

Love your holiday get together activities.

Rachel said...

Your family parties must make half the neighbourhood want to join in!

Wendy said...

I thought of you on the 4th and was hoping for another post on your creative 4th gathering...lovely bracelets made and the henna tattoos were wonderful as well...so glad you guys had a great 4th...

Stephanie said...

My first time reading your post but won't be my last! Love that you do a craft project on the 4th every year! I should get my family started on something like this, how fun! Thanks for sharing all the info and previous projects! qltdiva1@fuse.net

Catherine said...

This is always one of my favorite posts from you ~ your happenings on the Fourth!!! Such a beautiful and talented family!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Looks like a fun-filled holiday for everyone! Your niece might have a career as a more-permanent tattoo artist.

allie aller said...

Jack's beard is so totally perfect on him. I love it, go Jack!
And OF COURSE we are still out here following your blog. Love each and every post....

Createology said...

I love your "sum of the parts" family and how you all celebrate and work/craft/play/eat together. Fabulous bracelets by all. Those talented artists doing the tattoos are amazing. Congratulations to Jack on his graduation and pending college tour. I am so happy to be home and able to read my favorite blogs. Congratulations on eight years of blogging. Creative Bliss Dear...

Anonymous said...

I think it is lovely how all your family come and work together, you are an inspiration to us all!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Of course we are all still here enjoying whenever you post. Sad that your entire group couldn't gather for the 4th, but as they say that's life. Nice bracelets..I was just over at that site seeing the newest project offerings. Enjoy the rest of the summer. It will be more quiet at your house when school starts just a short time from now.
xx, Carol

Anonymous said...

Your family projects are great family "glue". :) Why don't you propose a book out of this, Susan? I think one about Family Traditions for the 4th of July could be such a cute one! I could easily see it on the shelves at JoAnne's Fabrics...And you've already taken all the photographs for it. *grin* ~ Sheila I.

Anne Bloom said...

I love your blog and it looks like your family filled 4th oh July! I also love your family pictures. Was the little yorkie with you this year?

margaret said...

a shame some were missing but can see a good time was had, the girls certainly made some lovely jewellery and such talent with the henna. Good to see Jack back in his cap!

amfuller said...

Love the bracelets!! So glad the family was still able to gather.

Mary Ann Tate said...

Happy belated 4th of July! As always a fabulous post.

Anonymous said...

Lovely bracelets, I always enjoy seeing what you do for the 4th. And Allison is a really gifted tattoer !

Martha said...

Thanks for posting a link so we can all make one of these bracelets. I plan to give it a try this weekend. The tatts are beautiful- as is your blog. I'm always amazed and inspired whenever you share your work -and life- with us.

Thank you

Related Posts with Thumbnails