Thursday, February 27, 2014

Cubes, Zig Zags and Spirals

Over the weekend I had a chance to learn a beadweaving technique called Cubic Right Angle Weave or CRAW.


We have a Bead Society in Baltimore and they were hosting bead artist Jill Wiseman who happens to be the author of this wonderful book... Beautiful Beaded Ropes.    I found it at my library.

Remember that spiral rope that I did over Christmas...


Well, those of you who asked for a pattern, read on!  Jill had more surprises up her sleeve than just teaching me CRAW.

So what exactly is cubic right angle weave?   

Take a look at the very right tip of this beaded strip...


The cubes are woven by weaving four beads together in a circle to form one "side", then repeating it for three more sides, a top and a bottom.  The weaving proceeds by adding one cube to the preceding cube.

Once you get the basic cube idea down, you could change directions many times over to make all kinds of interesting shapes.

I'll be adding two more rows of zig zags to either side of the piece below before I am finished.


Lately, I've been doing a lot of beadwork.

More specifically, I've been trying to learn different methods for manipulating and weaving seed beads.  Whether it be loomwork, peyote, brick stitch and now right-angle weaving...I feel like all the methods are translatable to traditional needlework pieces.  I'm hoping that knowing the techniques will help me create my own designs to add to my embroideries.

Now for the great news.  Jill Wiseman has her own You Tube channel and has invested in hiring a professional videographer to film her tutorials.  So lucky us can learn from her FOR FREE and without having to travel to a class.  Isn't that grand of her!

Here's her video on how to do Cubic Right Angle Weave...

And here's her video on how to weave and finish a spiral rope.

Can't you see the spiral rope used for edging one of your embroideries?

Her You Tube Channel, Jill Wiseman Designs, has tons of free information, free projects and videos on beadweaving basics from beading surfaces and needles to reading charts.

If you're just beginning, it's a great place to start.  You might want to subscribe to her channel so you get updates whenever she uploads a new video.  Jill also has a website where she sells bead supplies, patterns and kits.

I'm off to zig zag some more.

Happy bead dreaming everyone. 

11 comments:

Cath said...

I am wondering what you're going to do with your zigzag. Beadwork should come with a warning - it so addictive! I just watched Jill Wiseman's Kumihimo with Beads video - that's another addictive technique :-)

Createology said...

Your tool box of skills is truly getting some wonderful techniques. They will be very versatile for all of your stitchings and embroidery work. Thank you for sharing this new site of generous sharing of expertise skills. Beading Bliss Dear...

Judy S. said...

Thanks for the links, Susan, and happy beading!

margaret said...

lovely beading Susan, too fiddly for me though but I do admire what you are creating

Shawkl said...

Super tutorials! I'm subscribing so I can see what get's posted next. Thanks Susan.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Thank you for the links! It is so nice how different techniques can work with different mediums!

Rachel said...

I can indeed imagine a beaded rope frame for something... So many new techniques to learn, how will we ever find the time?

Leanne K said...

Thanks for the information and link to her u tube video's. I have her book and love her designs.

linnyt said...

I agree with you that beadwork translates so well to traditional needlework. Thanks for the info. on the U-Tube videos. I saw Jill Wiseman on Beads, Baubles & Jewels a couple of weeks ago teaching Kumihimo. She seems like a fantastic teacher. You're so lucky to have met her in person.

Catherine said...

Love this!! Perhaps one day my life will settle down enough for me to try some new things like this!

Gome said...

Thank you for the links ; the videos are so clear ! and you did a beautiful beadwork ! :) great colors !

Related Posts with Thumbnails