Monday, September 30, 2013

Looming Pumpkins

My embroidery practice has been all over the map recently.

I'm working on my Scotland book, knitting, making threads for Japanese embroidery, AND I'm working on Mrs. Rose.

Sounds like I shouldn't add one more thing to my plate, right?  

New item on Susan's plate
Well...opportunities to learn from those we admire don't always come along at convenient times.

This past weekend I finally had the chance to learn from Erin Simonetti, a woman whose work I've admired and and followed for many years...



Love her!

Often, loomwork can look a bit flat...but Erin has a gift for creating three-dimensional beaded sculptures...all on a loom.  

Like this piece called Multiplicity that was a Finalist in the Bead Dreams Competition in 2006... 

Multiplicity by Erin Simonetti all rights reserved

She's been a Finalist in that competition at least 3 times that I am aware and has been published more times than I can count.  Take a look at her website (click on all the links in the left sidebar) and her blog...they are both full of beautiful designs, inspiration and tips. 

Much to my delight, she began teaching this year at Bead Soup in Savage Mill, MD which is where I was this past weekend learning to make this fall-themed bracelet...

Bracelet and design made and copyrighted by Erin Simonetti

We have a lot of homework this week.

I've finished looming the bracelet base and now I have to add the tendrils and the two lines of crystals on either side. 


We'll be making the little mouse peaking over the top of the cuff and learning how to remove the piece from the loom and attach the clasp this coming Saturday so stay tuned.

It's Pumpkin Season in Maryland!

P.S.  Those asking about the bracelet on my wrist in last week's post...it's this bracelet designed by Laura McCabe...

18 comments:

Marsha said...

Love that little touch of whimsy with the mouse. A beautiful bracelet.

Mosaic Magpie said...

What a cute mouse peeking over the edge! The bracelet is so interesting with all the vines and additions.
Love it!
Deb

Rachel said...

Yes, I've noticed that chances to learn new things don't always come along exactly when it would be most convenient. They have to be seized regardless!

Createology said...

Susan I read this post and got sidetracked visiting Erin's blog and website. Your talents always amaze me and now you add beautiful loomed beading! The little mouse made me swoon!!! How fortunate to take classes from such truly gifted artists. Creative Beaded Bliss Dear...

cucki said...

Wow looking so sweet ❤️
Big hugs x

gracie said...

Oh my goodness....I love it!

Jane said...

Beautiful beading. Glad to see you are keeping yourself busy. Wouldn't want you to get bored!! :-)

Judy S. said...

Wow, Susan, I've never seen such complicated beading before! Can't wait to see the rest of it. It's Pumpkin time here only they're all wet.......

ERIN SIMONETTI said...

Thank you Susan, for such a wonderful compliment! I love the cuff. so far! I am excited to meet you again, on Saturday, to hear your thoughts about what you are doing.

I love your blog. It will now be one on my list, to follow.

Catherine said...

Your talents never cease to amaze me!! Loved seeing all the beaded work!!!

margaret said...

a lovely braclet you have made, if your tutor was only a finalist the winner must have made something out of this world.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely thing to learn, it is so different!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Simply magnificent!
I like the sequins you will add to the design. Love that BLING!
What loom are you using? I don't know much about looms, but it's different than I have seen.
xx, Carol

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OK, went off to Erin's site...Mirrix..now I'll go back there....forever!!

Wendy said...

thanks for the blog link, I'll go and admire her work! I'm admiring yours too. I wrote a post this week about a new bead loom on the market, not sure if it would interest you?

Teresa said...

Oh my another wonderful project you are working on. Love the pumpkins.

Suztats said...

Love that pumpkin bracelet! Have fun.

Marianne S-M said...

Susan, love your pumpkins, can't wait to see your adorable mouse. love your Scotland book too!
Marianne in NJ

Related Posts with Thumbnails