Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Needlebook Chapter

When I launched my first online course last February, I decided to choose my Hari-kuyo needlebook as  the course subject.  

I had figured out all the details of the book and could make it in my sleep.  What I really needed to figure out was all the other elements that go into offering a course:  pricing, supplies/kits, videography, document transfer, communications, registration, etc.

I expected to have maybe 20 students, perhaps 30.  Actual enrollment for that first class was double my most optimistic estimate and I was challenged to accommodate the scale of that request.

And now, here I am again, one week from launching Round 2 of the Needlebook E-Course and having just finished teaching the class to my local Embroiderers' Guild.



By the time I remembered to take pictures yesterday, there were only a few left of the original 20 women who had taken the course.

Like most things in life, what I had originally set out do with my initial class offering was met and then exceeded.   I think I've realized that the actual making of the needlebook may be a draw for some; but the act of honoring our needles is what really has the appeal.

And I have been touched by all the methods in which bookmakers from all over the world have made their books their own, and added their own personal touches.



Barbara Meger took the basic original kit and focused largely on the golds and oranges.  After finishing class yesterday, she had created a book for her needles that coordinated beautifully with her October sewing set:  a black felt pin cushion, a scissor holder with a witch, and an ort holder made from Fall-colored fabrics.


And then there are those like Irene, whom I wrote about last week, and Bee (below) and countless others who took the last class, who used their own materials...


They took the idea of honoring their needles and created their own personal versions.

Bee loves to dye using natural sources.  She used bali batiks and her own wools dyed with chamomile tea and onion skins to create her felt pages and to tone down the white-ness of the labels...



Buttonhole stitch, using an earthy, variegated silk ribbon, edged all the pages.

And her inside cover "pocket", was a tree inspired by the bali fabric detail underneath...and the flower pot houses her needle threader...


And her last page, again is personal to her...A simple page of gratitude...


They are all as delightful as their owners who made them.  

I am offering this E-course again beginning next Monday.  You can read all the details here.  There is no limit to the course offering...you will have access to the course videos and instructions for as long as you need them.

I am not sure I will offer this as an organized course again.  Or, it may be quite some time before I do.  To everything there is a season, and I'm ready to move onto other things. 

If you paid for the course last time, but didn't make your book.  Perhaps you will use the renewed momentum of the current group to finally finish your book.  

Thank you to all my students, past and present.  You have created a "Needlebook Chapter" in the story of my life that I had never expected would be there.

Now today, I'm off to stitch.  Mrs. Rose has been very patient...

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Good to see even some of your students - and their needlebooks - gathered together. Even more, to see those who have taken the idea and developed it in their own way, with their own details!

Robbie said...

Your student's work is a compliment to you the instructor!!! Nice job one and all!

Joan - South Island, New Zealand. said...

Beautiful photos from a very inspiring class. Lovely work. I love it!
Joan

Createology said...

Susan you have done a wonderful job of teaching and sharing your in depth knowledge of amazing stitchery and these ladies have done such a beautiful job. I am looking forward to beginning my stitching journey this coming Monday. Blissful Stitching...

Related Posts with Thumbnails