Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Crab Zone

It's taken me three full days to finally get into the zone with this crab.


You know that point where you're no longer trying to figure out the pattern and design; where you're not searching for the right threads and supplies;  where you're no longer making mistakes because you've worked out all the kinks.

It's where you finally get to stitch with confidence because you know what you're doing and where you're going.

The first couple of days, I tried many different and unsuccessful approaches to crafting this crustacean.

I tried stitching it using different materials:  embroidery floss, silk fabrics, felt...you name it.

I don't think I've thought of much else...working out different ideas and approaches in my head while sleeping, driving, showering and eating.

Finally, as I was scouring the stash looking for some ideas, I ran across this piece of hand-dyed Hanah silk velvet...and I thought I would give it a try.


The great thing about this velvet is that there are many, many different colors contained in one small piece.

I cut out the sections of velvet that were in the pale yellow/green/gold tones and backed them with a stiff interfacing called Decor Bond to keep the tiny bits from fraying.

Now I'm cutting out each jointed section of the leg and sewing the velvet together with a wire in between.

Two down and eight more to go...


I didn't want to take a break but I realized I should bop in here and tell you that I haven't gone to the Caribbean or been slacking off...I've just been trying to figure this little guy out.

Back to crustacean nation...and the Olympics.

See you next time!

24 comments:

Nana said...

It´s incredible what you make and how you make it. Each time I think you can´t make it any better and next post you show me "yes, you can!".

Nana

coral-seas said...

BINGO! You are not only in the zone you are ROCKIN' IT!

Anonymous said...

well this is absolutely fabulous!!!

Anonymous said...

Those crab legs are fantastic. I'm enjoying seeing your progress.
Marci

Wendy said...

So amazing how you come up with ideas for your creatures. I am looking forward to seeing the end result of your hard work!

Cari said...

Crustacean nation....you're too funny. And, quite talented. That crab is smaller than I thought. I'm glad you had the ruler near by. Love that velvet. It's perfect. Thanks for sharing the adventure.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Another awe inspiring piece of creation. I can hardly wait to see the end result.

FlowerLady

wendy said...

WOW!! mouth hanging open!!!!I love this, the velvet is perfect! I enjoy watching the process thanks for sharing!

char said...

Well, the ladies above have pretty much said just what I would have, so....you are simply amazing, I wish I had your problem solving abilities. Can't wait for the final result!!

Suztats said...

Fantastic! Fascinated by your process, and looking forward to being wowed by the result!

Cathy said...

Yep, you're in the zone! In fact, I think you have the gold medal for Crabbing all "sewn up"!!

amfuller said...

AMAZING!!! Your creativity leaves me speechless.

Createology said...

Once again your attention to detail is resulting in a perfect crab with color and bendable legs. Amazing my dear...

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Susan. Amazing realism you are achieving with this fabric. Looking forward to following your projects.
best, nadia

Rachel said...

He's a lovely little crustacean - well worth the waiting and the struggling!

Sarah Sequins said...

Susan, I always love hearing about your creative process. You have so many techniques and skills in your toolbox, so to speak, and it's fun to see which ones you end up pulling out.

I can't wait to see the finished crab!

Barbara C said...

Great color-match with the velvet. I'm sure the finished crab is going to be fabulous.

liniecat said...

thats going to be obe cute crab! clever use of fabric too, I like that!

liniecat said...

thats going to be obe cute crab! clever use of fabric too, I like that!

Crystal S. said...

Amazing! Thanks for popping in to share with us again.
I am just a beginner and it helps me learn alot!
I can't wait to see him all finished.

Crystal

Vicki Boster said...

If anyone can do this-- it's you! I'm totally intrigued and can't wait to see the little crab!! I'm loving the Olympics too--- doing a little knitting all the while!!
Vicki

Mary Ann Tate said...

Wonderful...it really is going to look awesome.

Marnie said...

Ab Fab!

Catherine said...

Oooohhhhh.......loving it!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails