It's taken me three full days to finally get into the zone with this crab.
You know that point where you're no longer trying to figure out the pattern and design; where you're not searching for the right threads and supplies; where you're no longer making mistakes because you've worked out all the kinks.
It's where you finally get to stitch with confidence because you know what you're doing and where you're going.
The first couple of days, I tried many different and unsuccessful approaches to crafting this crustacean.
I tried stitching it using different materials: embroidery floss, silk fabrics, felt...you name it.
I don't think I've thought of much else...working out different ideas and approaches in my head while sleeping, driving, showering and eating.
Finally, as I was scouring the stash looking for some ideas, I ran across this piece of hand-dyed Hanah silk velvet...and I thought I would give it a try.
The great thing about this velvet is that there are many, many different colors contained in one small piece.
I cut out the sections of velvet that were in the pale yellow/green/gold tones and backed them with a stiff interfacing called Decor Bond to keep the tiny bits from fraying.
Now I'm cutting out each jointed section of the leg and sewing the velvet together with a wire in between.
Two down and eight more to go...
I didn't want to take a break but I realized I should bop in here and tell you that I haven't gone to the Caribbean or been slacking off...I've just been trying to figure this little guy out.
Back to crustacean nation...and the Olympics.
See you next time!