Monday, May 30, 2011

My Wingman

On Sunday, June 12, 2011, I'll be swimming across the Chesapeake Bay as part of the Greater Chesapeake 4.4 mile Bay Bridge swim. I haven't talked about it too much here because most of my training has been in a pool all winter, swimming back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...


By now, I am so sick of a pool that I cannot wait to practice anywhere else!

So...this weekend when the family went to the beach to kick off Summer for the Memorial Day holiday, I decided to put on my wetsuit and go for a two-hour practice in Assawoman Bay.

It's always good to get some practice in heavy currents and/or choppy water just in case those are the conditions the day of the Bay Swim.

Enter My Wingman.


When I said I needed a volunteer to kayak alongside of me for two hours while I practiced, Jack didn't hesitate to say he wanted to do it. I told him it would be boring...that I really did want to be out there a full two hours...

He answered, "Mom, I'm the most chill guy you know. I'm your man." So we went.

We scoped a course and Jim took us out to the location by boat. See the Osprey's Nest below?


We decided to go against the current for the first part of the swim when we both would be freshest.

Jim dropped us off and we were on our way.

Jack's job was to stay on my wing so that no boats or jet-skis would hit me. And so that I wouldn't hit any crab pots...


Though there's never been a shark sighted in Assawoman Bay, I do think this pic of my butt in a wetsuit actually does look like a seal...one of the shark's favorite meals...


We made it to the Osprey's nest and all the way back again...the full two hour practice. And I can't tell you how cool it was to have my man-boy-son riding alongside of me, keeping me on-course and out of danger.

When our rescue crew finally showed up...


I was delighted!


I was pretty tired and my arms were ready for the break.

We climbed into the boat and headed home. When we got back into the canal, Jack parked the boat...


Perfectly. He greased it. I was impressed.

How did it happen? All of the sudden, my boy has grown up and become a player -- a guy with a contribution to make. I know it happens to all moms eventually but it still takes me by surprise a bit. That this kid is turning into a great guy.

A guy who gave up two hours of his day to be wingman to his old mother.

It doesn't get much better than that.

22 comments:

Catherine said...

How cool is that? Your son is such a strapping young man! Good luck with your training and the swim!

Maureen said...

Hey, that's not floating!!!

Ingrid Mida said...

Bravo to both you and your wingman!

verobirdie said...

After following you for about two years, I'm not surprised Jack has turned into such a nice young man. But I confess I'm surprised by the speed of the physical transformation. He is growing soo fast!

verobirdie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
allie aller said...

Absolutely wonderful, Susan. And my gosh, he is looking so old and handsome too!

Nancy said...

How wonderful! You have done a good job raising that young man of yours! Bravo on the swimming accomplishment too!

Rachel said...

Jack sounds like a wonderful young man - but then I suspect you've been a fantastic parent!

Momma Bear said...

They do that! it comes in the package, along with eating the refrigerator and and growing taller than you!
what a wonderful treat to have your almost-a-man by your side!

a2susan said...

Isn't it great? Looks like you had a good practice swim and your wonderful family supporting you - the girls are growing up too!

Vicki Boster said...

Susan- you could not have a more able or (handsome!) wingman! You tell Jack that I am so proud of him!! What a great son he is!

Susan- I wish you the greatest luck on this challenge- you totally are a competitor-

You go girl!!
Vicki

Elizabeth said...

What a woman!!! I am not at all surprised that jack is turning out as he is . look at how terrific his parents are. He is obviously so very proud of you!!!!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a great post about mother and son. Hope you do really well with the event in June.

FlowerLady

Kelly said...

What an awesome accomplishments, both the son and the swimming! Good luck on the "official" swim.

Cathy said...

Jack is a great kid. And I have to echo Allie - he is getting so handsome and looking so much older than even his pictures from this winter. Isn’t it beautiful, too, that as your child/friend grows into adulthood, your relationship morphs a bit to include more equal footing as friends?? I hope you know what I mean. As mothers, it’s wonderful to see our young men contribute. I repeat, Jack is a great kid! (but that’s no surprise given his parentage!). Hugs, Cathy

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Who took the pictures?

Funny, I could be saying the same exact good things about Corey. I blinked by eyes and all the worries I have had in the past two years are gone. He has become so responsible and helpful and pitches right in without being asked. At 16 I'm sure we will still have to weather a poor choice or two, but gosh the kid is on the right track, just like your Jack.

xx, Carol

Judy S. said...

That's a lot of swimming, Susan, and a lot of paddling! Kids sure are a visible and constant reminder of the passage of time, aren't they? Hope that water was warmer than it looks! Good luck on the "real" swim~sending good wishes for great weather and perfect swimming conditions!

Lynne Neal said...

Susan, I love the picture where you are swimming and you can Jack's eyes right on you, watching out for you good luck on your swim,from Toronto Canada.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Jack is certainly becoming quite the young man. I can see how proud you are of him, and rightly so.

leilani said...

And you know what? They end up marrying wonderful women and the family grows expotentially. It only gets better and better, Susan.

MeganH said...

That's absolutely wonderful! And you should be very proud of yourself for sea-swimming in that cold ol' ocean against the current!

Barbara C said...

Your relationship with your son is so sweet and charming. My son had a long spell as a sullen teenager, but occasionally I got glimpses of the tender young man he is now. I always enjoy reading your posts about Jack.

Related Posts with Thumbnails