Sunday, May 22, 2011

Copy Kate

So, I guess I had Kate's wedding dress on the brain...remember her bodice and veil were hand made Carrickmacross lace?

Well, the lace that was applied to her skirt and train was not Carrickmacross but a mix of Chantilly and English laces....And, as you may remember, they stitched the lace motifs down every 2-3mm?

Well, I guess I just wanted to give that idea a try.

I needed a bit of black on my Breakfast at Tiffany's block...so I pulled out a piece of black Chantilly lace from my stash that happened to have a wonderful floral motif...


And just like those gals at the Royal School of Needlework, I couched the chantilly motifs down every 2-3mm...


Then I was able to cut away the surrounding net ground, leaving just the motif on the fabric.


Can I just tell you? I loved this technique!


It does take a bit of time to couch the lace down thoroughly...but it's worth the effort.

I especially liked how it overlapped the velvet. It's hard to find applications that work well over velvet because of the nap...but the applique of chantilly lace is a total winner in my book. It's not as easy to see in this photo...but it looks sumptuous in person. Let me know if you give it a try...

See you tomorrow!

18 comments:

Cyn said...

Looks wonderful .. super! Thank you for sharing your "how to".

Nancy said...

Beautiful! Thanks for showing the step by step pictures!

Cathy said...

Oh my, this looks so yummy! Must give it a try.... and once again follow your lead. ;-) Hugs, Cathy

Marty52 said...

Love the way this looks, especially on the velvet. It's really a good technique, and I'll tuck that idea away, too.

Gerry Krueger said...

I've just the spot on my suffragette quilt to use this but I will have to age the lace. How big is this block? Ger

Judy S. said...

I was also wondering the size of your block; it looks like you've placed quarters by the lace, so the flowers are fairly big? I seem to recall a sketch you did for this; didn't it have a person? Anyhow, can't wait to see your next step, Susan! It looks great so far.

kaiteM said...

it looks e-sumptuous to me. congrats for trying it, k.

Пенелопа said...

Very interesting idea and embodiment .. This process is entertaining ..

Rachel said...

It is wonderful when these ideas turn out so well, especially that you now have a good technique for embellishing velvet elements - it's such a tricky cloth to deal with!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Once again, I am inspired by your lovely work. Thanks for the pictures.

FlowerLady

DJ said...

Your stitching is AMAZING!! This technique looks intriguing, so much to do, so little time! LOL Thanks for sharing!! *Hugs*

Maureen said...

Love the black lace.

Lorraine said...

This looks lovely against the turquoise.

allie aller said...

A totally fantastic idea and so doable by us all!

Mosaic Magpie said...

It is usually the techniques requiring the most time and effort that end up looking wonderful. Good job!
Deb

Ingrid Mida said...

You make it look easy but I know it is not!
Today I tried to free-stitch with my sewing machine and it was a disaster. I was trying to stitch a portrait that way and I was so disappointed not to be able to make it work. If only you lived close by.....

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

The thing that amazes me is your ability to see a technique and utilize it in your own work.

The black lace is gorgeous on the aqua.
xx, Carol

coral-seas said...

Wonderful, thanks for the tutorial on how this is done It looks fabulous. I know that you had this block planned out sometime ago but I love the way you a prepared to take a new idea and let the block evolve.

Related Posts with Thumbnails