Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chantilly Lace

It seems that I'm still stuck on the subject of lace...


Particularly...Chantilly lace.

It's because Chantilly lace has these beautiful and delicate vines, floral and scrollwork motifs...they're just lovely.

It's a bobbin lace worked on a six-sided mesh ground with the motifs outlined with a thicker thread called cordonnet.


It's this cordonnet that I've been couching over to attach the lace motif to the block...and then cutting away the mesh ground.

I liked the look so much with the black that I dug through my stash to see if I had any more Chantilly lace.

Turns out I had this one small piece of ivory which turned out to be a real treasure...


I tried to get an image to show you how it looks applied over the velvet...it's absolutely splendid and expensive-looking...


And as if that isn't enough excitement already, I received a package from the talented Shirlee Fassell today thanking me for the photographs I took of her Crazy Art Quilt project. Wow!


What a treasure trove...!

My world of options has just expanded for this block and I am so excited I can barely stay in my seat!

OK. I'm not going to...

I'm getting up to dance to the Big Bopper!



Phew! OK. I'm back.

Is that a smile-maker or what? I'm having too much fun here today...

Thank you, thank you Shirlee!!


If you haven't seen it yet, you must run over to Shirlee's blog to see her beautiful work -- all stitched using the Luneville hook and tambour embroidery techniques. She's a wonder. (I've written about her before on this blog here.)

And I'll close with the final global progress shot of my block...


Thanks for coming by and sharing my joy.

Please, take some with you!

16 comments:

letrecivette said...

Dear Susan,
I find only now your beautiful blog.. I love it!
Thanks for showing the work step by step by pictures!
see you soon!
Monica

Unknown said...

Please stay stuck on the lace!!! I am loving it!!!

Mosaic Magpie said...

It is neat how that one piece of lace looks so different on the 3 fabrics it is attached to. With the velvet...yummy!
Deb

Ingrid Mida said...

Seeing all that beautiful lace reminds me of my trip to Normandy to see bobbin lace being made by hand. It is a real art and a labour of love. I wish I had bought some of that gorgeous lace.

Kathy said...

Your joy is infectious; I love the colors of this piece and all of your other work as well.

Cathy said...

What a luxurious, delightful piece. How can one help but be happy by looking at it?! Beautiful! And Shirlee rocks, doesn’t she?? Hugs, Cathy

Vicki W said...

Oh my gosh, did you faint when you opened that package? Yummy!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

O how fun. I am smiling and took some of your joy for good measure.

I love what you are doing with the lace. I never really knew WHAT chantilly lace was.

What's next?
xx, Carol

Gina said...

chantilly lace has always been a favorite of mine too though I've never made it.

And the Big Bopper! What a great memory. I was around 8 years old and my granma & granpa had a bar/restaurant. I can remember going there on Saturdays (kids could go in back then until I was around 10) and the jukebox would play this song & granpa would kid me about my ponytail ( "a ponytail hanging down"). Thanks for fun!

Vicky aka Stichr said...

the lace looks fantastic-ico...er...not ick-o, eco....and the goodies? what a fabulous gift!

allie aller said...

It makes the world go round round round! Thanks for sharing your joy...it is palpable!

coral-seas said...

Now, I liked the black lace, really I did, but the ivory lace! WOW!!!

As for the treasure trove that Shirlee sent you, well that is just gorgous. I know how wonderful it is when someone sends you a package of treasures :-)

I can see some of those goodies ending up on this block.

Elizabeth said...

As soon as I saw the title I started humming along!!! Great way to start my day!! Thanks!! This block is coming along beautifully - again I am blown away byt the details that you include. the stitching ot the letters with sewing thread in 4 colors with shading!! INCREDIBLE!!! So many would have been content with 1 color of emb floss!!! NOT our Susan!!!
You are one in a millino dear girl!! nw I am off to visit with Shirlee- what a stash she sent you - and you are woth every single bead 100 times over!!

Shirlee Fassell said...

Yoy certainly made my day. I love the lettering and the way you used the chantilly lace!! I am going to try that. I love the big bopper!! my husband thinks I have gone around the bend.. I keep playing it over and over...memories

Leeann said...

Well I had a beautiful Chantilly lace appliqued to my wedding dress (22 years ago), so I think both you & Kate are copying me! I remember it was very expensive over $100 a metre, but I only needed about 70cm to cut out motifs for the neckline, centre bodice & a trim on the sleeves.

Rachel said...

Gorgeous - I'm so glad that the Wedding set you off onto the lace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails