Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Let There Be Light

How is it that you can capture light, wear it and have it walk down a runway?


According to Karl Lagerfeld who designed the Spring 2011 Haute Couture collection for Chanel...the structure of every piece was created "pearl by pearl, thread by thread".

I love that. Pearl by pearl, thread by thread.

I can relate to that.


The effect was dresses spun from gossamer thread -- and a luminescence that is hard to accomplish without looking heavy.

The answer is in the fabric...or the lack thereof...

Most of the designs were not made with fabric but with embroideries...


Now what does that mean...? It means that the pieces were not cut from pre-beaded fabric...But that each piece was embroidered and beaded specifically for that one design...It allows a great degree of control over the outcome but is so incredibly time-intensive that it's almost overwhelming. Yet...

The overall effect is Light.


Diaphanous...


Ethereal...


Light.


But, oh so...wearable?


Yes. Wearable. There were pants and tunics and real, wearable pieces in this collection.


But what made it couture was the beading, the embroidery, the exquisite craftsmanship...


Over 10 million beads were used in this collection.

And I know only too well the work it takes to embroider 10 million beads...


It's an extraordinary feat. And we should recognize it as such.

My only regret is not being able to get up close and really see the workmanship of these pieces. I would give anything for a chance to turn my macro lens to these embroideries.

That's how they should be viewed....up-close and personal. In museums...with a magnifier...as works of art.

Have an inspired day.

You can watch the entire show on the Chanel website here. Treat yourself.

15 comments:

Shirlee Fassell said...

He certainly kept Lesage busy... Such beauty I wish I could be a fly on the wall in the workrooms!!

Rachel said...

It really is astonishing to see what the Paris ateliers can turn out!

Catherine said...

Stunning!

Mosaic Magpie said...

The models seem to glow with light as well. Can you imagine the workroom with all those beads and activity! I would just like to be there to sweep the floor at the end of the day!
Deb

Marty52 said...

Lovely... so many hands must have had a part in these creations!

verobirdie said...

Oh I'd love to wear the top of the second picture!
But all those clothes are pure delight. Even though I have a preference for those by Galliano.
Dreams, dreams, dreams!

coral-seas said...

Oh WOW! How can we get our handson them, Susan? I want to see them up close and drink in every detail!

Sandy said...

i love when you blog about couture! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the first image the best, but what a stunning collection. ~Kelly

Vicky aka Stichr said...

I am smiling...I saw a headline about the shows and knew you would be showing us the best bits!

Shantti said...

You can see some precious details here:
http://www.style.com/fashionshows/detail/S2011CTR-CHANEL?page=1
(maybe you already knows this link, sorry :)
and here, on of those ladies that embroidered some chanel pieces:
http://anniepenin.over-blog.com/

:)

allie aller said...

My favorite of any collection, EVER!
Susan, thank you so much for bringing this sheer magic to us.

Sweetpea said...

I agree with you - I want to TOUCH THEM!!!!
gads. all those beads. kinda speechless.
Off to view the video cuz I deserve more treats :>D

Thanks for another SPLENDID fashion feast!

MeganH said...

Thanks for the fashion piccies!

Wow. (What else could one say?)

Chris Daly said...

Incredible! I love visiting your blog, but even more so during the fashion shows. Hope you are well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails