Monday, June 23, 2008

In the Woods...


We like to spend a lot of time hiking, running, and biking in the Patapsco State Park that is near my house. As a kid, we lived on the other side of this park and we spent many hours playing here as kids. I know it inside and out.



I just finished this book and I could not put it down. Set in Ireland, three 12-year old kids play every day in the woods near their house. One day they go missing and they find one of the kids, the narrator of our story, in shock up against a tree with blood all over his shoes and his fingernails dug into the trunk. He has no memory of what happened or where his friends are.

Fast-forward to modern day, the boy is now a homicide detective investigating a murder of a 12-year old girl in the same wood. It's a gripping read...I read it while doing laundry, unloading the dishwasher...my nose was definitely in this book!









And my SIL just gave me this book which I haven't yet started. It's about a man who re-acquaints himself with America after living in Britain for 20 years. He and a friend walk the Appalachian Trail which stretches from Maine to Georgia and covers 2,100 miles of wildnerness. This is their story.

I'd love to know what you thought of it if you've read it!

3 comments:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I LOVED a Walk in the Woods! I read it before I started my blog, so unfortunately I can't direct you to my review (*sigh*). But it is an easy, entertaining, and humorous read, and I think you'll enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

I read the Bryson book a few years ago - i loved it too! it makes you realise that just because you are a bit old, or fat, or unfit,(or all three :) like me ) doesnt mean you can't walk 2000 miles with a backpack and deal with snakes and bears and hunger. very funny, as are all his books. One of the fewbook Ive read that have really made me want to visit the location. i want to read the other now - sounds good and scary!i like a good thriller too

Pigtown*Design said...

I read his book Notes on a Small Island after I'd spent 3 weeks in England. It was on the plane, and I was laughing so hard, I had to go sit in the bathroom!

Related Posts with Thumbnails