Friday, September 26, 2014

The Making of a Masterpiece: Lessons from the Littlest

Last Christmas, my family drew names for gift giving so that each one of us had one person to "buy" for...we were limited to $40.

I drew my littlest niece.

Having purchased one of those fancy acrylic paint sets (with a coupon),  I had the main item of my gift.  Next, I bought a huge empty canvas (with another coupon) and "wrapped" it.  I printed out a goofy picture of my niece and dressed her in tie-dye shorts, Converse and an art smock with a painter's palette and a brush to hold. 



I also took an old stained white shirt of Jim's and made her a smock to wear like the one I put on her picture...


On the back was the invitation to come to my house...


To make a Masterpiece.  

We had our first date yesterday.

Since Masterpieces don't come easily, we warmed up by painting a few pictures on the paper that came in her kit. 


After an hour or so, we had a feel for the brushes and the paints and that's when the inspiration HIT!

A Unicorn!!!  A BIG One! It's magical and it's sparkly and it could have a rainbow tail, and it could be beautiful!  Oh!  And you have glitter?  OH!  We could add glitter!!!(clap clap, clap, jump, jump, jump)  There's was no stopping once the vision had taken hold.

She shopped for just the right unicorn on the web, printed out an outline of one onto a transparency, and then we borrowed an overhead projector from my neighbor across the street.


After tracing her design, she went right to work...


When it came time to paint on the gesso medium and apply the glitter...Katie, bar the door!


There can never be enough.  And if it gets all over you?  All the better. 

And if you can shower in it...well...


That's existential.

Utter peace settles over you as your transformation is certain...


And then...Euphoria hits.  You have the vision, coated in glitter, sparkling for all the world to see...


Bring it on!  

I have so much to learn from this kid. Which only became more evident when I sat down to write this post.  

Lessons from the Littlest

1.  Never pass up a chance to take a glitter shower.  Never.


2.  Abandon yourself completely to your art, even if it means you start looking like it.


3. Love what you do.  Love it so much that you look like it.


4.  Dare to be...



Different...


And others will follow.


5.   It's a Masterpiece.  It's You.  Sign it.



6.  Become expert at "TA-DA"!!



7.  Share your joy.


8.  Be Grateful.


I found this hidden underneath one of our paintings when I was cleaning up.  Icing on the cake of an already delicious day.

I should be the one saying thank you.

Thank you.

19 comments:

allie aller said...

And thank you both!!!!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Of course it is a marve!Lou's post. But the best of it is the wonderful expressions you caught while the little created her masterpiece. It was a gift within a gift.
Xx, Carol

http://thankfullga447 said...

Love it, I have done painting with grandkids and it has become so much fun.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Reading this post has a huge smile plastered on my face. What fun!

All through looking at photos I kept thinking how much she looks like you.

Thank you for sharing the joy of creating, no matter what the medium.

FlowerLady

Shirlee Fassell said...

What a sweetie! You both had a great day!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

This is the stuff that grand memories are made of - both for her, and for you!

Cari said...

Oh Susan…what a fantabulous day the two of you had!! Thanks for sharing. Your darling niece is 'all that' and a great big bag of chips. I can tell it was a special day for both of you ! Hugs

Judy S. said...

Fabulous post! Greetings from Berlin!

Rachel said...

What a wonderful day - and what a lucky pair you are!

Unknown said...

Hi Susan !
what a wonderful post with enchanting smiles ! Makes me feel so happy, what a precious complicity between you two ! Thank you for sharing.

I wrote to you a few days ago using the e-mail adress on your profile page. Did you received my e-mail ?
Here is my email : contact@afmj.fr
Veronique from France

Suztats said...

What a wonderful Day! More than just a gift--spreading joy, learning skills, jumping in, following one's muse and being fearless! And what made it best of all--sharing it together (and with us!)

gracie said...

Absolutely the best! The picture is a masterpiece.....one to treasure.

coral-seas said...

I also already thought you were the best Aunty in the world - this just proves it. What a wonderful day the two of you had. You two DO look alike, especially your beautiful smiles.

Oh! and unicorns are my favourite animal :-)

Createology said...

You and your wonderful family are an inspiration to us all. What a beautiful way to spend time and be free in your art. I want to be part of your fun fabulous family. Creative Unicorn Bliss Dear...

margaret said...

how lucky your niece was to have you draw out her name, I am sure this is a day that will live in her memory forever such joy on both of your faces

Marsha said...

Love the glitter shower! A wonderful day she'll always remember. The best kind of memory.

Marnie said...

Love a good glitter shower! Awesome post!

Vicki Boster said...

Ohhhh this is awesome!! You are the best Auntie ever!! She's just precious-- love her picture!
Vicki

S. said...

That is just adorable and a breath of life, knowing you're successfully transmitting the experience to that generation. What a joy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails