Monday, March 17, 2014

Painting, Petaling and Pairing Up

Where's the  Green?

Maybe it was the ten inches of snow that fell last night that kept the leprechauns away.

I looked out in the snow this morning expecting to see their little green tracks but there was nothing.  Nothing but white.

Jack had yet another snow day which makes it a record for his senior year.  Even Jim has to work from home today.  And the only sign that it's St. Patrick's day around here is the smell of corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot.

I wasn't even working with green paints.  Today it was all about petal pink and playing around with silk paint.



I'm painting dye-able silk ribbon for my petals.  I bought both the dyes and the roll of undyed ribbon from Dharma trading.


I was playing around with a bit of gray in the ribbons...hoping that when I make up the roses, it will appear as if the pink colors grow out of the gray walls...as if by magic. 


I'm not sure I'll know my answer until I make the roses themselves.

Whenever I make separate components that I add to a piece, I usually make lots  more than I'll use.  That way I have choices when it comes to creating the final composition.

The left overs are stored in a clear divided container...shells, twigs, rocks, etc...It's a nice little go-to box for embellishments.  Little bits from all my prior pieces.

While I was painting, I was paying close attention to the drama playing out at the backyard bird feeders.      Lately, hundreds of grackles have descended on the bird feeders as they pass through on their spring migration.  They make quite a racket and are a spectacle all to themselves.  I usually let them feed for a good while before I slam the door to chase them away.  This signals the little birds to all come back to the feeder...which they do.  They get about 10-15 mins of feeding in before the mob scene returns.

I can tell that Spring is almost around the corner because the birdsong is everywhere and birds are starting to pair up.

Enter this couple that showed up this morning...


Guess what grackles??  The really big boys are in town...the Red-Shouldered Hawk versions of Bonnie and Clyde.

Needless to say, there's been a bit of carnage in the backyard today as they sit sentinel...


Perhaps it's a bit more apropos for Halloween than for St. Patrick's Day but I thought all the black feathers against the white snow looked kind of pretty...


And this pic actually looks like feathers have been tossed in the air versus scattered on the snow.


It's kind of pretty if you don't think of its morbid origins.

For the next few days I'll be working on some Japanese embroidery.

Have a great St. Pat's day everyone and send some green my way, will you??

13 comments:

Shirlee Fassell said...

Another WOW I though I lived in the snow belt... Your painting looks like fun can't wait to see the results!!

Vicky aka Stichr said...

Wow. Wonderful pic of the hawks! I will send all the green I can your way as we have enough to share here in the NW.

Lisa Boni said...

How fabulous to see a PAIR of hawks in your yard! Hope the green returns soon! Looking forward to watching your silk dyed ribbons become roses!

Shirley said...

Beautiful pics of the birds and feathers! I've done some silk scarves, but haven't tried the ribbon. I may just need to order some of that, your colors turned out so gorgeous! Can't wait to see the flowers.

Createology said...

Oh My! Do you harvest those beautiful feathers? Your dyed silk ribbons are looking wonderful. Your box of "extra's" must be an amazing treasure to raid. Stitching Bliss Dear...

margaret said...

Thanks for reminding me Susan that I bought some silk ribbon over a year ago to paint!! Must have a search for it. I use the silk paints to dye everything, sponge them on cotton etc. Yours have worked perfectly. Not seen a grackle before I am sure we do not get them in the UK

Rachel said...

Love the hawks - wouldn't they be fun to embroider!
I like the idea of the grey in with the pink to make it seem that the roses are blooming out of the wall. I hope it works as you envisage!

Judy S. said...

Guess we all know who the guilty parties are! Sorry to hear about your snowy-yet-again weather; it's been a crazy winter. Enjoy your creative time without guilt!

Suztats said...

If I had any green around, I'd share it with you, Susan, but we have mounds of snow. And guess what's in the forecast for tomorrow? Snow, rain AND freezing rain. Yikes, I'm staying home and stitching.
Love your silk ribbon painting--looks like fun.
Nice photo of the Big Boys........

Amanda said...

The picture of your hawk couple is wonderful! But to pick a few nits - and please take this in the spirit it is offered - they are Red-Shouldered Hawks, not Red-Tails. Red-Tails have clear breasts and dark "belly-bands". Red-Shoulders have the chestnut breasts and are more delicately built, especially around the head and face, as your photo shows so well. Many people get upset when hawks appear at their feeders; kudos for taking the attitude that you are feeding ALL the birds!

Susan Elliott said...

Thanks so much Amanda for clarifying my spotting! I'm so happy to know what type of hawks they were.
And yes, Sherry, I did "harvest" the feathers much to the disgust of my husband and son ;)

crazyQstitcher said...

I Like your header.

Looks like you are having fun with the dyes and silk ribbons.
The hawks are beautiful.

You are right about the feathers floating..the snow sure looks like sky behind them.
Are you intending to dye some of the feathers? Acid dye works according to Dharma Trading.
Grin.. perhaps green?

Catherine said...

Beautiful colors on your painted ribbons! And those hawks ~ gorgeous!

Related Posts with Thumbnails