Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tiffany Transfer

There are many different methods of transferring a lettering design to fabric...but deciding which one I want to use depends on the variables of the situation.

I have begun again to work on my Breakfast at Tiffany's CQ block and wanted to transfer the store logo to my pieced block.


I couldn't trace the design through the fabric at the window since the pieced fabrics were too thick to see through.

My second thought was to use the tissue paper transfer method but after I traced the letters, I realized my lettering was a little wonky and stitching over it was likely to make it wonkier (and take forever).

That's when I decided to print out the logo mirror image (rotate image>flip horizontal in PS) and coat the lettering with a thick layer of graphite pencil. I find if I use a 0.5mm mechanical pencil, my lines remain precise.


I then placed the graphite-coated lettering onto my block and, holding it tightly under tension so the paper doesn't shift, I burnish over the the letters pressing hard so that the pencil transfers to the fabric.


The pic doesn't show me holding the paper firmly because I can't hold the camera and hold the paper tightly. After I lifted away the paper, I took my pencil and lightly went back over all the areas to deepen the transfer.


IMHO, this backwards pencil transfer method beats a carbon transfer method because it allows me to be much more precise.

Now I'm ready to start lettering. I converted my color photo to black and white and used that photo to create the color palette for my lettering.


I think I'm going to have to use machine sewing thread because one strand of embroidery thread may be too thick...

And there you have it. Breakfast at Tiffany's is underway...

OK. Maybe aqua isn't completely out of my system...

14 comments:

Judy S. said...

Interesting technique, Susan. Did you use your machine to do the edge of the aqua piece....I knew you didn't mean it when you swore off aqua! ;)

Maureen said...

This is going to be fun to watch. Do you have enough jewels?

Shawkl said...

That's the coolest "tip" I've seen in a long time! I'm gonna link you so my followers will check this out too! Thanks so much for the technique!
Kathy
www.shawkl.com

gracie said...

Can't wait to seee the stitching...good way to trnsfer.

Rachel said...

I'd not have thought that technique would be clear enough - it's good to add it to the repertoire.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Great tip and the fabric you transferrred to, is the perfect Tiffany shade of blue!
Deb

Ingrid Mida said...

Wow this is such useful info Susan. Thanks so much. I've always struggled with lettering.

Createology said...

Aqua is THE color of Tiffany and Co. Your transfer method is brilliant. This CQ is going to be extraordinary. Happy Stitching...

Melody said...

A very clever idea. Thanks for sharing.ps Kathy sent me over.

Unknown said...

Wow this is a wonderful tip..I came over here from Kathy's and she was right it is a wonderful tip....thanks

Vicki Boster said...

Susan- I love the aqua AND the letters- I can hardly wait to see this project! I know it will be fabulous!
Vicki

coral-seas said...

I am amazed how well that technique worked, I did not think that it would be that crisp and clear!

How could you ever get aqua out of your system :-)

FloridaBird said...

First, let me say that your blog is just WONDERFUL, you are so talented, and I always look forward to your posts. However -- I think you've just violated their logo copyright. I know that my company would ask you to take the post down. Here's hoping not.

Marty52 said...

Brilliant technique!

Related Posts with Thumbnails