Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Playing with Paint and the Printer...

I'm still prepping for beading my next bead journal project. (OK, maybe this is why so many others are finished and I'm still plugging along!)

After I worked out my idea from last post, I needed to select the background fabric. And I just didn't have what I wanted in my stash...

So, I pulled out a sample printable fabric pack from Dharma Trading(I don't think they sell this exact package of samples anymore but don't let that dissuade you from checking out this very valuable site)...


And I don't own fabric paints in all of the colors that I wanted to use...so I thought I would just try plain old watercolor paints and see what would happen. Watercolors would be a significantly cheaper option if it worked...


I liked that the watercolor spread with the application of more water...that, of course, made the backing paper of the pre-treated fabric wet which caused the whole piece to buckle a bit...

I attempted to flatten it out by ironing it (note: I did have a white towel between the fabric and the iron to protect it just not in the pic...)


This flattened my buckle considerably but look what happened when I ran the fabric through the printer...


a big huge ink smudge where the fabric had buckled...

Luckily it was over on the edge of the page and not in the section I intended to use for my background...

My directions then said I needed to rinse the sheet off with water to set the ink. I noticed with the newer fabric solutions that Dharma is using now, this is no longer necessary.


I was going to have to wet it anyway however...because my paper stuck to the back of the fabric...


Because I had to scrub pretty hard while wetting the paper, I was sure that this was going to cause the watercolor to wash away!

After about five minutes of scrubbing, peeling and washing...I was kind of surprised that the fabric still looked great. I laid it flat to dry, ironed it again and then sized it up for my bead journal piece...


The colors and the ink both held fast! Yea!

Actually, they were a little too vibrant for what I had wanted...

I want the music to underscore the piece, not be the primary message...so I layered two pieces of tulle overtop to soften it a bit...


So, I'm happy to report that the watercolors did work!

But now I'm thinking that I should layer something else under that tulle...and now I have to go figure out how to paint brass charms...so if you know of a good tutorial for that...I would love a link!

Have a color-filled day everyone!

13 comments:

coral-seas said...

Oooh, so much to say!

First, it's not a race. Your pages would not be what they are if you rushed to complete them to a timetable.

Loved the printing exercise, pleased that the watercolours worked out. Would white organza soften the background to how you'd like it?

What do you mean by paint brass charms? Apply paint to them or paint a picture of one?

To paint the charms, try enamel paints, the sort used in modelling or maybe nail varnish would work!

I'm already loving this page and can't wait to see what you do with it next.

Plays with Needles said...

oh, I meant painting brass charms...I'm hoping I can use just acrylic paint so I don't have to buy any new paint...

Allison Ann Aller said...

What a fun process, and I'm so glad it all worked out.
I've used acrylic on brass charms no problem, too.
This is going to be so joyous!!!

Anonymous said...

Susan, how about if you now tea-dye your piece? The alcholol inks work onthe charms. Debbie (Maine)

Vicky~ stichr ~ said...

I can't think of a single humorous thing to say about this curious experiment, so I will just say "good job"!

Vicky~ stichr ~ said...

oops...

Good Job Susan!!!!

verobirdie said...

I love your finished pieces, but I think I love even more the way you achieve them, and tell us how you did!
I'm sure this one will be as wonderful as the others.

Maryanne said...

Hi Susan,
I've been reading your posts for a short time. I found you at Robin Atkins' Beadlust blog.
Love all you do. I'm a needleworker also, and a beader, and a knitter. Also, we're kind of neighbors! I live just outside of Annapolis.
I love how you painted and printed this fabric. What prompted me to leave a note is your question about painting charms. Acrylics work just fine and if you want a worn look, paint the charm and then use a cloth to wipe some of the paint away.
Have fun.
Maryanne

Marnie said...

It always amazes me how much 'mental time' our original work takes AND how much trial and error some things can take. Yours are always worth it!!! (mine, eh, not so much!) Can't wait to see the progress on this piece.

Carol said...

Its cool that you are using this technique for a BJP. I have been so interested lately in transfering pictures to fabric and also different methods of painting on fabric. I love it that you aren't scared to try different techniques, or even invent your own.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan....Helen's sister-in-law Suzanne here....I use nail polish to paint brass charms AND repair chips in china.
Suzanne

Ralonda said...

love your blog- if you want to mute text next time you can scan it on a lighter setting or if you have typed something to print use a grey font instead of black. alcohol inks work on metal and you could use acrylic paints too, but when you use either, a seal would be great and you could choose matte or gloss.
I know you will enjoy the process either way, so have fun with it!
God Bless You

Balwearie said...

That is way cool -- I love the idea of painting on the treated fabric and am excited about the prospect of using watercolours. I've used acrylics a number of times but it's just too stiff for my liking -- of course acrylic paint holds glitter very well even when it's thinned.

Related Posts with Thumbnails