Saturday, March 7, 2009

Spring Forward


Where I live, tonight is the night we turn our clocks forward one hour -- and lose an hour of sleep!

This weekend, I'm working on my February BJP and finishing up this little Spring project. I used colored chalk that I had bought for scrapbooking to give the embroidery a little pop! I didn't want to use dye or paint and I found that the chalk worked very well.

I also discovered these wonderful little tools from the Asian market near my house. My husband brought these home thinking they were toothpicks.


Though they ARE made to be used to clean the spaces between your teeth, they have tiny brushes on both ends!! One side is stiff like a stencil brush; the other side is flexible...And for $2.99 -- I think it comes out to about 2 cents per little brush.

And, oh the uses!!! Brushing on small bits of paint or glue -- in my case, chalk... They're just fabulous for so many things...

On the other hand, my husband doesn't like change and refuses to use these in place of a good old-fashioned toothpick. Lucky for me -- they now live in my craft supplies...

13 comments:

Judy S. said...

Such a cutie, that elf! Sounds like your toothpick/brush would do a grand job of cleaning the lint out of a sewing machine, too, Susan. Have a great weekend...it's SNOWING again here.

Lisa Boni said...

Your spring project makes me smile! Those toothpick... I can think of so many uses for them! What a terrific find!

Elizabeth Braun said...

I'm currently losing sleep to insomnia, so I envy your better reason!!!=)

Camilla La Mer-Soul Art Dolls said...

So Very cute!!! I love the idea of combining the chalk with the needlework. I also love your asian store toothpick find! I am making a beeline for our nearest store to check this out...

Camilla

Robin said...

Cute little elf, all colored in spring green and mulch brown so cleverly with chalk!!! Yeah, we're having a snow storm of sorts at the moment. It won't last long, maybe a day or two... and the daffodils are showing just the slightest yellow. I think it will... I think it will.... I think it will... be spring soon! Hugs, Robin A.

Marty52 said...

Your little guy is so cute; however, those little tooth pick thingies are awesoms! They would so great for putting bits of glue wherever you needed it. Very cool.

allie aller said...

What a cute project...and a great find!

Debra Dixon said...

Love the elf!

Barbara C said...

What a cute design. I love the 3-D wings.

babies said...

your hands look so loving and skilled, gentle and firm, no wonder your work is so precious.

Vicky aka Stichr said...

I wondered how you got the chalk in between the embroidery! Ingenious little tool.

Wanda said...

I've never seen those brushes before....Sure wish I would have had them years ago when I painted my Christmas cards with toothpicks!!! I'v just went through your blog...I haven't been reading much for over a month now. Need to get back in the swing of things now that my parents are back home. I won't comment on all your posts but I will say....AWESOME. I've missed my weekly dose of "plays with needles"!!! Thanks for bringing beauty and color and wonder to such a dreary time!

Linda H said...

I can think of many uses for these little "toothpick brushes".. wonder if I can find them locally... They'd be a dandy thing to have on hand for many crafty uses...

Related Posts with Thumbnails