Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The First Day of School -- Before and After

Before School


He hates his hair cut...it's too short. He likes it long enough to cover his ears...which are sore since they got sunburned at the beach.


These two can never stop rough housing and once it starts...


it probably lasted the whole ride to the bus stop.

After School



"Hey Mom, my day was actually good. I felt imperious."

"What does that mean? I know 'impervious' and 'imperial' but not imperious. Is that a word?"

"Ok, well, I mean...I felt like strong and powerful."

"Oh, so it's nice not being on the bottom anymore, isn't it?"

Jack is in 7th grade. Last year, he was in 6th and, since he attends an all-boys middle school/high school, the 6th graders are the lowest guys on the totem pole. They're also the lowest guys on the 30 minute bus rides to and from school.

Oh and guess what? Jack is smarter than me too. Imperious is a word.

Here's your definition for the day from Merriam-Webster:

im·pe·ri·ous \im-ˈpir-ē-əs\ adjective Latin imperiosus, from imperium
1 a: befitting or characteristic of one of eminent rank or attainments : commanding, dominant imperious manner>
b: marked by arrogant assurance : domineering

2
: intensely compelling : urgent imperious problems of the new age — J. F. Kennedy>

synonyms
see masterful
im·pe·ri·ous·ly adverb
im·pe·ri·ous·ness noun
There's also an Imperious Curse in the Harry Potter books. It's one of three illegal Unforgivable Curses. When cast, it gives a wizard total control over another person or creature.

Needless to say, we had a discussion about empathy and remembering what it feels like to be a bottom feeder. "Do unto others" and all that...

"Don't worry, Mom. I didn't do anything to anyone, I was just feeling that way."

He better not or I'll teach him the real meaning of imperious!

(Now that I know what it means...)

3 comments:

allie aller said...

What a fun post.
Great looking, imperious young man you have there....
This is the first year for me in 16 that the school bus went by with no child of mine in it!
...It is actually kind of liberating....

Bellezza said...

Oh, what a wonderful post! I love the pictures, as well as learning a new word. I suspect my face looked somewhat the same at the end of the day, and I'm the teacher.

Debra Dixon said...

A tie?????????? Do they have to wear it alllllll day? OMG! I'm surprised Jack didn't come home with a new word like Torture!

Related Posts with Thumbnails