Sunday, August 10, 2008

Grammy Aqua

The August challenge for the Crazy Quilting International group is Glitz and Glamour and here's what's inspiring my piece.

I'm having a great time designing a block based on movie images from Breakfast at Tiffany's which also happens to be the book I'm reading this month for the 1% Well-Read Challenge.

So, I've gone to my stash to begin collecting fabrics and threads that are Tiffany Blue. But, in my family, we don't call that color Tiffany Blue.

We call it Grammy Aqua.

See, my Mom loved that color. It looked beautiful on her because it matched her eyes. And she wore that color all the time, rain or shine...summer or winter.


One year ago today, we had a HUGE celebration at the beach with all 4 of my Mom's children and all 10 of her grandchildren. We called it GrammyFest.

It lasted for one whole weekend and everyone in the building participated by wearing special shirts and contributing to the festive atmosphere. August 10, 2007 was my parents 50th Wedding anniversary and my Mom's 70th birthday.

We knew we didn't have much time left with my Mom so we did our best to give her a weekend she would never forget. Where she knew how much we all loved her; so she knew she wasn't facing cancer alone and that we were with her in the greatest joy and the greatest sorrow.

We have very special memories and pictures from that beautiful weekend. We weren't surprised when she wore Grammy Aqua that day nor were we surprised that my Dad gave her those beautiful aquamarine earrings for their 50th Wedding Anniversary.

It didn't matter that she didn't have any hair; her eyes said it all. She was rich in love and the wealthiest woman on earth that weekend. Basking and bathing in the warmth and love of her life's mate, her children and her grandchildren. That weekend was so absolutely, heart-wrenchingly beautiful --

Mom passed away this year on March 6 but I am celebrating her today.

Celebrating her love for Grammy Aqua which you know as Tiffany blue.

Celebrating her love of beauty and wonderful things.

She is going to love this block and I am going to love making it.

And you know the funny thing. Since she died, no matter what type of store I'm in, I'm drawn to anything that's made with this color. I'm starting to wear this color, I'm starting to stitch with this color and design with this color. I'm buying placemats and towels and hand soap in this color. I can't get enough of it.

I once read how someone kept wearing their husband's sweater long after he died and refused to wash it because it still smelled like him. I feel the same attachment to this color blue that's not quite green...this Grammy Aqua.

Or, as you like to call it, Tiffany blue...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a lovely tribute to your beautiful mum.

Judy S. said...

You can surely see that love in her eyes and smile, Susan. That's a beautifully written tribute, and I'll bet your stitching will be just as beautiful.

Debra Dixon said...

Your post brings tears to my eyes for many reasons. Your mother was a beautiful woman and she has passed that beauty on to you. It's easy to see the resemblance in who you are and what you do.

I love that color too! My entire house is done in aqua and I will never get enough of it!

I understand your leaning towards the color. It's a way to connect with your mother.
This new piece will be a lovely tribute to her; it already is!

Barbara C said...

What a beautiful post, and what a lovely tribute to your mom. Her spirit shines through her eyes, so no wonder their color holds so much meaning for you. This is going to be a very special piece.

jessi said...

I can't wait to see the finished product! Your pieces are always so amazing.

marie said...

What a lovely post. Your mom's special weekend sounds like it was simply grand!

"Grammy Aqua" is a lovely color.

Related Posts with Thumbnails