Monday, May 26, 2008

Making Space for Imperfection...

Walk Slowly
by Danna Faulds

It only takes a reminder to breathe,
A moment to be still, and just like that,
Something in me settles, softens, makes
Space for imperfection.

The harsh voice
Of judgment drops to a whisper and I
Remember again that life isn’t a relay
Race; that we will all cross the finish
Line; that waking up to life is what we
Were born for.

As many times as I
Forget, catch myself charging forward
Without even knowing where I’m going,
That many times I can make the choice
To stop, to breathe, and be, and to walk
Slowly into the mystery of life.

I love this poem. I love the idea of making space for imperfection; of being gentle with ourselves. I like to be reminded not to race but to be present in the moment.

I really need to remember this in approaching my japanese embroidery. To remember that the imperfection of my stitches is part of my path; that I may not be the fastest stitcher and it may take me forever to finish, but it is my journey. I am doing what I was born to do and I will eventually arrive in my own time and in my own way.

I hope your Memorial Day was beautiful in some way.

1 comment:

allie aller said...

A lovely sentiment....and if God loves us and is gentle with us, can't we be that way towards ourselves, too?

You have chosen such an exacting discipline in the Japanese embroidery...just remember, "effort is progress"! Your results are so beautiful, too....

Related Posts with Thumbnails