Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Time

I love how Time is treated in Alice in Wonderland.

There isn't really a beginning, middle or end to the original story...and Time is treated illogically, as if Alice is dreaming.

This is not the case with the movie so I suppose cinematically, the screenplay needed to have a time progression that made sense. But even so, Time is still referred to as an entity that can be approached, bargained with, killed, etc. Time also appears to be a bit temperamental which appeals to me greatly.


Maybe it's because I've been challenged by Time and it's fun to think of myself in disagreement with it.

I'm often late and Time gets away from me...I'm often distracted in the moment and lose track of Time...I think I have about 10 different watches (all inexpensive ones, mind you) and they've stopped keeping Time because they need new batteries and I haven't taken Time to get new ones.

It tickles me to think that Time isn't something that marches on...never ceasing...ever vigilant. But instead, that Time is worthy of my relationship...that if I treat Time well, Time will be good to me...


And so I had to represent the pocket watch as somehow broken...for the Hatter killed Time ...and he has waited for Alice to come back.

How much Time has passed is irrelevant -- Alice is either there or she is not. She will return or she will not. And so the Hatter waits, regardless of Time.


And that whole idea gives me a lot to think about...

See you next Time...Time willing.

19 comments:

Sheila said...

Oh, I LOVE it! LOVE it! Love it! Love it, love it.

Shirleee said...

Susan
I just LOVE it also.. Even my 12 year old is enjoying this. Are you going to have some cheshire cat smiling teeth????
Shirlee

Anonymous said...

Perfect!!!
Maureen in MD

Createology said...

Super clever and I love it. You have the time perfectly represented. Happy creating...

Vicky~ stichr ~ said...

i love it, this time, next time i may think it only fantastic. until next time...

i agree that a ghostly, toothy grin would be good for this piece...this time.

Judy S. said...

And I love how you have treated time! Very cool!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the way your brain turns!
Suzie in Idaho

Rachel said...

That's a truly fabulous timepiece!

I'm sure Time will be good to you now!

Catherine said...

Another fantastic addition to this magical journey!! I do believe you should print every blog entry and make a book about this process!!

Carol said...

From the outside looking in:
It appears that time is your friend.
It appears that time stands still for you
It appears that time rushes on for us as if we are treading water, yet we come back to visit and YOU have accomplished so much.
Yes, I think you count time as one of your many friends, and you spend your time WITH time, enjoying its company, revelling what you can accomplish in so little time!
No, time is not an entity to be bargained or bartered. I think how we treat time is the essence of our nature.
wasting time
taking time to
just in time
never on time
strapped for time
So many phrases that give insight into a personality.

No wasting time on this blog!!

Dees said...

You just stopped me thinking about the wonders of time... I don't know how it is with English speaking kids, but Dutch childeren when playing a role-play tend to make there play-rules known to one another in past tense. They say: then you were the mother, and I was the father and then you would go visit me and we would have some tea! And no matter what: it makes sense, because as children the only things we know for sure are the things that have passed.
Then as we grow older we tend to dream on and start talking in future sense: if I am old enough I am going to... because what was has lost it's weight.
And then there is the Mad Hatter who just kills time, cause you are there or not and nothing in between. Hmm, shouldn't we all be as mindfull as that?
Thank you for sharing again.

Lynn said...

I wish that time would stand still whenever I get on blogger, so I really don't spend hours and hours of 'real time' visiting everyone. There are truly not enough hours in my day..........sigh.

I just am loving this piece (as you already know!). Those mushrooms are still my favorite ;)

Alisa said...

hmmm... maybe a different perspective for me to think about on why I am always late to everything.

Fantastic addition, the watch!

Marty52 said...

Spectacular, Susan! SUCH a great way to finish off the edges of the clock face. You are really doing justice to Alice in Wonderland.

Evelyn and Lise said...

How wonderful..... each day brings new and exciting embroideries and beading. I just love this piece. My favorite is the mad hatter. How did you make the small cups? THEY ARE SO CUTE. Lise P.S. waiting to see what you do with the cheshire cat.

Evelyn and Lise said...

How wonderful..... each day brings new and exciting embroideries and beading. I just love this piece. My favorite is the mad hatter. How did you make the small cups? THEY ARE SO CUTE. Lise P.S. waiting to see what you do with the cheshire cat.

Loralynn said...

I love it! The whole pocket watch is wonderful. My favorite part of the whole thing are hands. It's as if time has "sprung" a leak, as it were. Bouncing, twisted, curling in on itself. Not quite sure where or when it is going. Charming!

Elizabeth said...

Time will be thrilled with how your are managing her!! WHat a fabulously marvelous time piece- you amaze me!!! I have gotten several folks hooked on your blog thru this project and they eagerly await each new post about this project!!!
Time slows down for me when I read your wonderful words!!!

meri said...

This is a real beauty!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails